Communist History Tour Tirana (+street food)
Just a few days in Albania, you will get a sense of our 50 – year – old communist legacy. Let’s explore together the soil in which Albanian roots are planted. This tour is frighteningly exiting, historical, realistically subtle in a way that life today can’t capture.
- Bunk’Art Museum visit
- Tirana’s street – food
- Socialist realism art work
- Exploring Blloku area and the Museum of Surveillance
From April 1st, upon Request
Departure: 09:00 am
Included: Transportation, Tour Director, Street food, Coffee break, Museum Entrance
Getting around: Private motor coach, walking.
Let us take care of details
Expert Tour Director
Tirana’s Street food
Historical sightseeing with local guide
- We start our journey of the past at the Bunk’ Art Museum with a full – immersion of the Albanian history of the last 100 years. The ex – nuclear bunker, build to accommodate Communist Dictator Hoxha in the event of attack, tells us the story of the dictator’s time through photographs, items and documents.
- After we step out of Bunk’ Art, we head for “qofte” ( meat balls ) or “byrek”, typical Tirana’s street food.
- Enter in the National Gallery of Arts for many socialist realist art. Powerful images give a sense of how “realistic” art was used to create propaganda.
- Behold the pyramid, the former “Enver Hoxha Museum”. Its once – white marble walls are now crumbling and full of graffiti. Discover its history from our local Tour Director.
- Coffee break at Komiteti – Kafe Museum for some raki, communist candy and maybe some coffee also.
- We will walk through the Blloku area, where we discover the home of Enver Hoxha and other senior members of his regime. We will stop at the Post Blloku memorial, which honors former political prisoners, in an area once forbidden to enter.
- It is time for another “sweet stop”. The area is well – known for typical pastry products and cake of Tirana.
- We visit the Museum of Surveillance, the HQ of the “Sigurimi” secret police and the heart of the regime’s phone – tapping network. The “House of Leaves” ( as Known by locals ) hid many stories, being used as the gestapo HQ ( 1943 – 1944 ) and “investigation and torture house” by Albanian secret police afterwards.
- Drop off at hotel or anywhere in Tirana.